Monday, March 24, 2014

I got nominated for a Liebster Award...



...and I'm so old and out of the loop that I had to google what a Liebster Award was! I was nominated by the lovely Indra at Alice In Beautyland, who is a beauty blogger and polish addiction enabler of the best kind. I suspect that she has magical powers that allow her to sense special offers and clearance sales.

Apparently the rules for this are as follows:
1. You must link back to the person who awarded you
2. You must answer the 11 questions given by the nominee before you
3. You pick 11 nominees with under 200 followers to answer your questions
4. You cannot nominate the person who nominated you
5. You must tell your nominees that they have been nominated by you

So, eleven random facts about me:

1. I like to crochet woolly monster toys.
2. I usually watch videos of mathematics lectures while I paint my nails.
3. Even though I have a rather large nail polish collection, I only own one eyeliner, one mascara and one lipstick.
4. I'm married to the love of my life, an adorable nerd who collects wargaming miniatures faster than I collect nail polish.
5. I have a degree in illustration.
6. I love writing computer programs and learning new programming languages.
7. Two of my toes on each foot are webbed which is one of the reasons you'll never see me post pedicure photos.
8. I am currently training to be a volunteer at a science museum.
9. For my wedding I wore a purple and green party dress and matching nails.
10. I used to play saxophone in a punk rock band.
11. I make amazing lentil and ham soup.

Now for Indra's questions:

1. What’s your favourite animal?
Hmmm, a tricky question. Axolotl or panda.

2. Where is your ideal holiday location?
Vienna. I've been twice with my husband (before we were married) and it is the most friendly, relaxed, art and culture filled city you can imagine, and the beer is good.

3. If you could have been born at any time (and in a ‘good’ family, healthy, etc) when would you have been born?
I was born in the early 1980s which, as a woman, was a great time to be born so I'm not sure I'd want to change that. We were one of the first generations of women who could be anything we wanted to be.

4. Pencil eyeliner or liquid?
Pencil.

5. Summer or Winter?
Summer. I tend to get very depressed during Winter.

6. Pasta or Rice?
Pasta. In fact I'm eating a cheesy pasta bake tonight.

7. What’s your favourite item of clothing and why?
Either the green John Rocha coat that my parents bought me for my 30th birthday (it is very "me", and cost more than I would ever spend on clothes for myself), or my turquoise-blue sweater from Primark because people keep telling me that the colour really suits me.

8. What did you want to be when you were younger?
Many things. Artist, poet, mechanic, army officer, electronic engineer, illustrator, rocket scientist...

9. What’s your dream career now?
I'd love to be a software engineer. I'm currently saving up to go back to university so I can make that a reality.

10. Favorite candle scent?
Lavender. I'm an old lady at heart.

11. You have ten minutes to do your make up, what are your ‘go to’ products?
I'm not sure that doing my (face) make up has ever taken me longer than ten minutes anyway and most days I wear no make up at all so that's even quicker! If I'm going to a party I'll slap on some Garnier BB Cream, a little No7 black eyeliner pencil and Clinique mascara and use a purplish pink No7 lip crayon. They are all quite expensive products for a woman with such a love of cheap nail polish, but I have sensitive skin and eyes so I have to be careful about what I put on my face.

For my nominees I've chosen other new-ish nail blogs I have been reading recently:

1. Laura at Lacquered Hearts: Lacquer Tarts (I love that blog name!) who shares my love of value polish.
2. Marge from Nailuminium whose freehand nail art designs are jawdropping.
3. Jayna at The Sequined Nail, for more freehand prettiness.
4. Ivy at Two by Two, Nails of Blue, a fellow polish addict.
5. Galorious, with her amazing freehand nail art.
6. Heather at Polish, Plants and More, another pound store nail polish afficionado.
7. Swishie Nails, which may or may not be a blog written by a nail polish loving cat.
8. Ginge at Cosmos and Crayons, a fun illustrated science blog featuring a cute sloth and occasional geeky nail art.
9. Colorful Cupcake Cat, a nail blogger from Iceland.
10. Lisa's Nails, another UK nail art blog.
11. Rexxx Did It, a Belgian nail art blog.

I highly recommend checking all of these blogs out and following them on bloglovin for lots of nail inspiration.

Now for the questions for my nominees. If you do want to take part remember to paste your Liebster Award to your own blog and nominate your favourite bloggers with under 200 followers.
My questions for my nominees:

1. What is your favourite book?
2. How many nail polishes do you own?
3. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
4. If you had to choose only one nail polish from your collection and wear it every day for the next month, what would you choose?
5. What was your favourite subject at school?
6. Have you ever worn an outfit that you thought looked amazing at the time, but in hindsight makes you cringe? What was the outfit?
7. Cats or dogs?
8. What is your favourite type of cake?
9. What was the best fashion or make up bargain you have ever purchased?
10. If you could have lunch with any celebrity, who would it be?
11. What actress would play you in a film of your life?

4 comments:

  1. Wow, love your blog! Just nails - awesome idea! Hope you win x

    http://www.twoloveslondon.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, your blog looks cool too! I don't think there is a winner for the Liebster Award, it's just a way for bloggers to connect with other bloggers.

      Delete
  2. I've followed them all! I love reading blogs on the iPad when I'm in bed!

    www.aliceinbeautyland.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for nominating me! I recently did a blog post about another award so I'm going to have to wait with this one until I find some more interesting facts about me, but I will definitely do it because I love the idea of getting questions to answer! (and your questions are awesome). Also: pasta all the way! I'm a big pasta lover as well :D

    ReplyDelete