Monday, March 31, 2014

Spring Greens


My local indoor market has recently reopened after a major refurbishment and I was excited to discover that the discount cosmetics stall has got bigger and better. They have lots of branded nail polish for between 50p and £2 a bottle and when I saw a pale, minty green NYC polish called "Cupcakes and Latte" for £1 I had to buy it because I'm a sucker for green polish.


Sorry about the out of focus photo!

The other two polishes I used for these nails both have some sentimental value for me, and by coincidence are both also NYC polishes. Before I discovered the wonders of £1 polish, I bought quite a few NYC polishes because they have a good range of colours and are £1.79 at Superdrug (and are often part of mutibuy offers). They are good quality, fast drying polishes, but I have found that they tend to get really thick and goopy within six months of first opening them.

High Line Green is one of the polishes that I bought and wore for my wedding day. I love this shade and it makes me all sentimental! I used it for the stamping because it is really opaque and I also used it for the first layer of polish on my thumb and ring fingers. The pattern is from my newly purchased Born Pretty plate, M83.

Green Day from NYC's Rock Muse collection is a dark smoky jelly with medium sized green hex glitter and tiny gold and green micro glitter. It is the first glitter polish I ever bought and it was the first step of my journey from having colourful but plain nails to sparkly patterned madness! I used a coat of it on my thumb and index fingers over the High Line Green.


I topped everything with a coat of P.S. Matte Top Coat because I still can't get enough of the stuff! The one problem I have found with this top coat is that although the surface of it dries very quickly, it softens up the layers of polish underneath which doesn't dry fully again for two or three hours. Your nails might look and feel dry on the surface, but put a little pressure on them and all your polish will just wrinkle and slide off. This is not a top coat to use when you are in a hurry.

I really like this pattern in these colours - it makes me think of wallpaper from a grand Victorian house - but I think I'd prefer it if I'd stamped it the other way up. I also realise, looking at these photos, that I really need to use more cuticle oil!
What do you think of these nails?

No comments:

Post a Comment